Finding a freelance writing job can be challenging, particularly if you are a beginner.
However, you do not need to shy off from pursuing your writing career. The truth is that we all start somewhere.
There are several freelance writing jobs that you can find online as a beginner. All you need is to have basic writing skills. With time, you will improve and become a professional at it.
In this article, we discuss the freelance writing jobs that you can do.
Types of freelance writing tasks
You can be hired to carry out several writing tasks, including;
- Essay writing
- Short stories
- Content marketing
- Social media posts
- Website copy
- Press releases
Below are some freelance writing jobs that you can apply for even though you do not have sufficient experience.
Freelance Writing Marketplaces
Freelance marketplaces are platforms that link clients with freelance writers. They act as mediums between the two and cut a certain amount of money from what you earn.
The good thing about these marketplaces is that you can choose the kind of job you want to do based on your skills and knowledge and the amount of money the client is willing to pay.
Even better, these platforms offer secure payment methods, and they protect both the client and the writer.
To join these platforms, you will need to sign in and provide some details about yourself and your services.
You then search for the available writing and bid, then send pitches to the client.
You need to understand that there are several freelance writers on these platforms. Therefore, you must make excellent pitches so that a client can hire you.
Most importantly, ensure to read the job requirements so that you can meet the client’s expectations.
Do not take a job just because the pay is good. Only pick jobs that you can deliver the expected results. Otherwise, you risk getting negative reviews which will negatively affect your writing career.
After completing a job, you will send it to the client and earn your money.
Here are the best freelance writing market places to consider;
- Upwork: This is one of the most popular platforms to find writing jobs. Upwork will take between 5%-20% of your earnings you make from the platform. And it guarantees payment protection.
- Fiverr: Works similarly to Upwork. Once you sign up, create a portfolio and set a price for your services.
- Freelancer: You can find several writing projects on these platforms. The payments vary based on the type of work and requirements.
- Speedlancer: Several writing tasks have very specific deadlines.
- Guru: Guru has several writing projects. You can find the jobs that suit you best by filtering your search based on the job type, duration, and experience level.
- Peopleperhour: Peopleperhour is also an excellent platform for beginners who are looking for writing jobs.
Job boards are also excellent sites to find freelance writing jobs as a beginner.
Unlike freelance marketplaces, job boards have more strict and picky requirements from writers. You are expected to deliver high-quality work.
However, this should not hinder you from searching for a writing job on these job boards.
To be on the safe side, it is wise to have a portfolio of your work. As you look for work, you can write samples and post them on your website or LinkedIn.
When a client asks to see some of the work you have done previously, you can send them links to the sites where you have published your content.
In as much as you might be ambitious to kick start your career and make big money, you must be careful not to pick jobs that you do not have the skills to deliver quality work.
Always carry yourself as a seasoned writer while you continue to improve on your skills.
Here are some job boards that offer freelance writing jobs;
- ProBlogger. You will always find freelance writing jobs on ProBlogger. Keep on improving your skills to land awesomely paying jobs.
- Blogging Pro: Several writing gigs are posted here daily.
- Indeed. Indeed posts several jobs on the board. You there must filter your search to find freelance writing jobs.
- Craigslist. You could find online writing jobs within your locality or from anywhere around the globe.
- SimplyHired. SimplyHired is a job board that lists several jobs. Filter your results to get the exact position you are looking for.
- Freelancewriting.com. As a beginner, you will also find free resources for writers.
- Work at Home Adventures. This job is dedicated to people looking for jobs they can do from home, and freelance writing is one of them.
- MediaBistro. This is another excellent platform to search for beginner freelance writing jobs. Turn on the alerts to know when new jobs are posted.
- Freelance Writing Jobs. There are several writing gigs that you can find and apply for.
You should also consider looking for freelance writing jobs at content mills.
Content mills are websites that also connect writers with clients.
However, in this case, the content mills owners can assign the writing tasks to a writer directly or place them on the writers’ dashboard to bid.
If you are a superb writer who delivers high-quality work, adheres to the instructions, and has a high rating, you have a higher chance of your bid being accepted.
Content mills are also very strict. Most of them require you to do a test, and you must pass to be hired.
If you submit poorly written work, you can be fired by being denied access to the site.
Another shortcoming (which could be an advantage for some people) is that you always have to be alert and, on the platform, not to miss out on a good gig.
There are many writers on these platforms, and once a job is posted, most of them hurry to place a bid. This means that if you want to increase your income, you must bid very fast.
Content mills are great places to start your writing career.
They expose you to different writing styles, improve your research skills, and enlighten you on clients’ wants.
You must, however, finish the writing projects within the set deadline to avoid penalties.
Below are some of the best content mills;
- Textbroker: Textbroker pays you for every word that you write. You could earn between 0.7 cents to 5 cents or more per word writing articles.
- Writer Access: Depending on how you are rated on the site, you could make as much as 7 cents per word.
- Hire Writers: This is one of the best paying content mills. Article lengths vary, but you could make $20 per article.
- Great Content: You need to provide quality work. Top earners make about $37.50 for a 500-word article.
- Verblio: Verblio specializes in content marketing. You can earn more if you have top-notch freelance writing skills.
- Domainite: To be hired as a freelance writer on this platform, you must complete a job hire form first, and if approved, you can start working.
- iWriter: iWriter is a popular site to find writing jobs. The platform allows you to choose the job you are best suited for, and you can create a broad client base.
- WriterBay: You can write on many subjects at WriterBay. Earn up to 20 dollars per page doing writing from the comfort of your home.
- Clear Voice: Clear Voice mainly focuses on content marketing. You do not need to have lots of experience, but clients expect quality work.
- Online Writing Jobs: You can write topics that interest you. If you can offer top-notch writing services, you can make $50 per article.
Some websites buy content from freelance writers. Often, they have the “write for us” button, and when you click, you will follow the instructions and finally submit your work.
There is a specific quality that these websites are looking for. But this should not discourage you from trying to write for them.
You have to be consistent in applying for these kinds of writing jobs to land one.
If they are impressed with your work, they could temporarily or permanently hire you to be writing their website copies.
Some of the websites where you can find writing jobs include;
- Income Diary. Income Dairy focuses on very many areas, including website and social media articles. The site demands that you write essays of high standards to earn $200 for every article.
- A List Apart. A list Apart usually hires writers who can challenge their readers. You can earn about $200 per article.
- FundsForWriters. You are expected to write articles of 550 to 650 words. They must be of great quality.
- A Fine Parent. Get paid $75 per article for writing about parenting.
- Money Pantry. If you can write about money hacks, you can get paid about $150 per article. Be on the lookout to see when this website is accepting guest posts.
- Listverse. ListVerse does not need you to be a writing expert. All you need to do is write in the native English language and have a sense of humor. You earn $100 per article.
Other Writing platforms offering jobs
- Medium: Medium has a medium partner platform that enables writers to make extra cash for the articles they submit. Your earnings will depend on how medium members engagement with your content.
- Skyword: Skyword connects writers with brands that are looking for their services. You need to sign up first and then create a profile that makes clients find and hire you.
- Redgage: With Redgage, you earn money by selling your content to the platform. The more people view your content, the more money you can make.
- Dotwriter: Dotwriter is a premium content marketplace that connects writers with clients looking for written work. You need to signup, create a profile, upload your content, and indicate the price. Once a client buys it, you will get paid.
- Social media: Platforms like Instagram and Facebook are excellent for finding freelance writing work. You can create an outstanding profile to attract clients and join writing groups.
- Guest posting: You can request to write a guest post for sites that have massive traffic. This would create more awareness about you and your services.
- Content marketing agencies: Several agencies deal with content marketing.
You should identify them and write to them, informing them that you can deliver quality content.
- Your website: A great starting point to landing writing jobs is creating your blog.
It will enable you to connect with potential clients, and it also acts as proof that you can write.
Ensure to write great content on your site letting potential clients the type of content you create.
LinkedIn is a great platform to find freelance writing jobs. Several jobs are listed there daily. You can subscribe to the premium package to easily connect with clients and other writers.
Even better, if you create an excellent profile, clients looking for writers can find you.
Other ways to search for freelance writing jobs are the word of mouth and cold pitching to potential clients.
Freelance writing is one of the best jobs you can do from home, either as a part-time or full-time job.
As a beginner, you might not be confident enough to apply for freelance writing gigs. However, you should know that even the most significant writers started from somewhere.
If you know the basics of writing, you can bid for beginner freelance writing jobs and advance with time.
Connecting with other writers can also enable you to land jobs faster. You can learn from them, and they could even hire you when they have loads of work.
Submit as many applications as you can, and soon enough, you will work with several clients and build your writing business.